MISSION / VISION
The Department of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Services has been primarily entrusted with the responsibility of providing "Veterinary Animal Health Care Welfare" to all the livestock, to improve the production potentialities of livestock and poultry reared in the State: It also plays a major role in milk production by incentivising the milk producers through the organized sector. However, the ultimate mission is to improve the Socio economic condition by improving milk, meat and poultry production in the state.
BRIEF HISTORY AND BACKGROUND
The Department of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Service was a joint Department Comprising of Agriculture & Animal Husbandry. As the needs of Animal Husbandry and Dairying increased this Department assumed its singular characteristics and function.
The Department is headed by the DIRECTOR (Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science). This Department which is primarily vested with the responsibility of providing veterinary health along with increase in livestock production has now the task of attaining self sufficiency in milk production of this state.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The Department of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Services aims in:-
• Development of Animal Husbandry Activities,
• Providing Veterinary Aid to all domestic animals with special emphasis to Livestock population
• Welfare of the Livestock farmers in the state.
• Enthusing the farmers to take up Livestock entrepreneurship
• Training of unemployed youth & farmers in the field of Dairy farming, Piggery farming, & Poultry farming
• Making the state self sufficient in milk, meat and eggs.
• Proving special assistance to SC/ST communities in the state.
• Providing adequate door to door assistance to the farmers/ livestock owners i.e. Veterinary Health Care, Immunization,Treatment etc. through the network of Veterinary Hospitals, Veterinary Dispensaries, Key Village Sub- Centres / First Aid centers in the rural/urban areas.
• Proving attractive subsidies in various spheres of Animal Husbandry Activities viz. Kamdhenu Scheme, Modern Dairy Scheme, Poultry Scheme, Piggery Scheme, subsidy for farmers cultivating perennial/seasonal fodder, Incentives to dairy farmers pouring milk into dairy societies.
• Artificially Inseminating non- descript cows, crossbreed cows, and she buffaloes with exotic Germ Plasm through a network of Key Village Sub-Centres, Dispensaries and Hospitals
• Various Central Sectors Scheme viz. National Project for Cattle and Buffalo Breeding Programme.Strengthening of Infrastructure at Government Poultry Farm, Assistance to State for control of Animal Disease, Integrated Sample Survey, Livestock Census , Proficiency Efficiency Development, National Project for Rinderpest Eradication.
• Assisting in Public Health by control of Zoonotic disease